What Should I Do If I Was Injured in a Hit-and-Run Car Accident in Douglasville, GA?
A hit-and-run car accident is quite common in Douglas County, Georgia, and especially in Douglasville. The drivers who cause accidents often panic and leave the scene, hoping they would not get caught. Their victims, if they are unable to identify the party at fault, often give up the thought of obtaining compensation and cover the expenses out of their own pocket.
This is a huge mistake. If you were involved in a car accident with a driver who left the scene do not give up on the idea of obtaining compensation. To do so, you should contact a Douglasville car accident lawyer as soon as possible. It is also important to follow the steps dictated by the law (Georgia Code Section § 40-6-270) and recommended by the authorities and all car accident attorneys:
- Stop at the accident scene or as close to it as possible, preferably in such a way as to avoid obstructing traffic.
- Request medical assistant for yourself or anyone else involved, if necessary.
- Report the accident to the authorities and wait for the police officers to arrive at the scene
- Provide and collect contact, vehicle, driving license, and insurance information to and from other victims and/or potential witnesses, if any
- Take photos of the accident scene and of the vehicles involved, look for cameras that may have recorded the accident, and write down any details that may be relevant to your case
When you get the chance to discuss your case with a Douglasville car wreck lawyer, they will explain that it is possible to obtain compensation for your losses even though the driver at fault fled the scene. There approach will differ from case to case. Your case can take several turns, explained in the following lines.
Possible Scenarios for a Hit-and-Run Car Accident in Douglasville, GA
1. The car accident lawyer manages to identify the driver at fault
Attorneys with experience in hit-and-run accidents usually have extensive investigation skills and wide resources. They may be able to identify the car from photos or video recordings or from witness testimonies. Once they have the vehicle details, they will know what path to follow to track down the vehicle owner, the driver who caused the accident, and find out whether they are insured and who their insurance carrier is.
Depending on the insurance status, several scenarios become possible:
- The driver is insured, so the car accident lawyer will file the claim against the insurer.
- The driver is uninsured, so the car wreck attorney will file a lawsuit against them in civil court
- The driver is underinsured, so the attorney will seek the available compensation from their insurer and find other solutions to obtain the remaining amount.
2. The car wreck attorney fails to identify the driver at fault and their insurer
In this case, they may still be able to help their client obtain the due compensation. Depending on the case circumstances and the victim’s insurance coverage, they may be able to file a compensation claim against their client’s own insurer.
This is possible when the accident victim carrier uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Surprisingly, many drivers carry such coverage without even knowing it, so anyone injured in a hit-and-run accident should consult a car accident lawyer before giving up the idea of seeking compensation.
The latter may be able to help even if their client does not carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. Depending on how the accident occurred, they may be able to identify a third party that shares fault for the accident and seek compensation from them or their insurer. It could be the road administrator, the contractor they hired to maintain or repair the road, a third driver, or even a pedestrian or pet owner.
No matter the circumstances, a consultation with a Douglassville car wreck attorney cannot hurt. It will give the accident victim a chance to find out what their rights and options are and make an informed decision. If they want to trust the respective attorney with their case, they can. If they are not satisfied with the answers they receive or their chances of winning the case are low, they can contact another attorney or find other ways to cover their expenses.
Get in Touch with a Hit-and-Run Car Accident Lawyer in Douglasville, GA!
At John B. Jackson & Associates, we have handled numerous hit-and-run accidents not only in Douglasville but all throughout Douglas County, Fulton County, and other areas in Georgia. We have our own solutions and resources to track down drivers who leave the scene of an accident and obtain compensations for their victims.
Call our office or use the online form to schedule a free consultation with a knowledgeable, experienced, and caring car accident lawyer in Douglasville, GA! Let us help you obtain the compensation you deserve and put your hit-and-run accident behind you!