If you get into a Lawrenceville car wreck, there are certain things you need to do. First, you need to call the police. No matter how badly the other driver asks you not to, don’t give in. In fact, the more insistent they are, the more important it is that you call the cops. For all you know, the other driver could be driving with no insurance or a revoked license.
The second thing you need to do is go to the hospital. Just because you feel okay doesn’t mean that you weren’t injured. You could have injuries that just don’t show up right away. For example, you could have a traumatic brain injury. Or, you may have a punctured lung or organ damage. If you don’t get these treated right away, you could run into problems down the road.
Finally, you need to call an experienced car accident lawyer in Lawrenceville. If you don’t do this, you may jeopardize your chances of recovery.
Many People Make Mistakes at the Accident Scene That Destroy Their Case
A lot of people have no idea just how bad their injuries are. They make crucial mistakes in the minutes following their car accident that will come back to haunt them. These mistakes will come back to haunt your Lawrenceville car accident lawyer as well.
Sometimes, people make these mistakes due to pressure from the other driver. Other times it’s because they’re impatient and they don’t want to wait around for the cops. Still others genuinely believe they’re not injured so they don’t see the need to get medical treatment.
Here are three (3) of the biggest mistakes people make following their Georgia car accident:
- They agree to not call the police. This means there’s a good chance they won’t get accurate information from the other driver. It also means you won’t get a police report. Without a police report, your car accident attorney in Greenville will have a very difficult time proving your case.
- They refuse medical treatment. No matter how minor you think your injuries are, you have to go to the hospital. You could have internal injuries such as a traumatic brain injury. If left untreated, these injuries can prove fatal. You also need to get treatment so your lawyer can prove you were injured.
- They try to deal with the insurance company on your own. They will try to take advantage of you. They’ll either deny your claim or offer you a lowball settlement. They won’t try to take advantage of your lawyer.
What Kind of Damages Will Your Lawrenceville Car Wreck Attorney Demand?
As long as you do what you’re supposed to do after your crash, you may be entitled to damages. However, if you don’t do the things immediately after your crash to preserve your claim, you may receive nothing.
The whole point of hiring a Lawrenceville car wreck lawyer is to get compensation for your injuries. And, your attorney will work hard to get you as much money as possible. But if you don’t call the police, or refuse medical treatment, this will be difficult. That’s why you need to follow the tips outlined above.
If your attorney is able to prove your claim, they’ll demand the following types of damages:
- Medical Bills – You’re entitled to both current and future medical bills. If your doctor can show that you’re going to need future medical care, you should be compensated for this. They can do this using medical records. Or, they may submit an affidavit to the effect that you need long-term care.
- Lost Wages –If you missed more than a week or two from work, you can demand lost wages. Your lawyer will submit payroll records and tax returns to prove these damages.
- Pain and Suffering – These damages are intended to compensate you for any physical and mental anguish caused by the crash.
- Property Damage – If your car was damaged, you can demand that you be reimbursed the money to repair or replace your car.
Your Lawrenceville car accident lawyer will work hard to prove your damages.
Contact an Experienced Lawrenceville Car Wreck Attorney Today
If you’re hurt in a car accident, you should contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Lawrenceville. They’re used to handling cases just like yours. Call the Law Office of John B. Jackson today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s absolutely free and you pay nothing until you settle your case.
The defendant will have lawyers working for them and you should too. Let an experienced car accident lawyer get you the compensation you deserve.