When it comes to winning your Georgia personal injury case through achieving a fair settlement or obtaining a favorable judgment at trial, it is essential to hire the right Georgia personal injury attorney and to do your part in establishing a strong case as well. Here, we’ve compiled four important tips for choosing the right law firm for your personal injury case and four tips for doing your part to make sure that you have a strong case.
Tips for Finding the Right Attorney
1) Choose a Local Attorney – When you are pursuing a personal injury claim in Georgia, you want to work with an attorney who is experienced and knowledgeable in the relevant laws, statutes, and procedures of Georgia personal injury claims. It only makes sense to choose a local attorney for your case. Naturally, you’ll want an attorney who is located in Georgia, and finding one in or near your own town will make things more convenient for you, as well.
2) Consult with More than One Attorney – It is a good idea to arrange more than one consultation with more than one attorney. While this may seem inconvenient and time consuming, you will benefit from comparing the differences between at least two or three different Georgia personal injury lawyers. In this way, you can get different perspectives of your claim and an idea of how well you’re going to get along with the lawyer, what they can do for you, their level of confidence, and what they’re going to charge you.
3) Look at their Track Record of Success – The most important thing at this juncture of your personal injury claim is to find a lawyer who has a track record of succeeding in similar cases. Don’t hesitate to ask for references and to discuss how they’ve handled personal injury claims in the past. Talk about the outcomes that they’ve achieved and whether or not they are comfortable with going to trial if no settlement can be reached. Has the attorney taken similar cases to trial in the past? Have they succeeded in such cases? How successful is the attorney at reaching a fair settlement agreement without going to trial? How long has the attorney been practicing law in your area? These are important questions. Don’t be afraid to ask.
4) Consider the Personality of the Attorney – This is another reason why consulting with more than one attorney is a good idea. You want to evaluate the lawyer’s personality and make sure that this is someone you can easily communicate with, feel comfortable with, and get along with throughout the course of your personal injury claim. Two attorneys might be very similar in their experience, location, prices, etc., but you might get along much better with one than the other. You’ll be spending a lot of time working with your Georgia personal injury attorney, so you want to make sure that it’s someone you can easily communicate and cooperate with.
Tips for Building a Strong Personal Injury Claim
1) Seek a Full Medical Evaluation ASAP – When you’ve been injured due to someone else’s negligence, it is essential to seek a full medical evaluation, even if you don’t think your injuries are very severe. Sometimes, the symptoms of injuries are misleading at first. You might have minor back pain that will grow worse over time because there is actually a serious issue there. Don’t make any assumptions about your health without seeing a doctor. Seeking a full medical evaluation as soon as possible after the accident will improve your medical outcome and strengthen your personal injury case with solid medical evidence.
2) Maintain Adequate Records – Maintaining adequate and thorough records of your injuries, medical care and expenses, photos of damages and injuries, evidence of lost wages, etc. will help to establish strong evidence of the injuries and losses incurred.
3) Avoid Communicating with Insurance Claims Adjusters – You will likely be contacted by an insurance claims adjuster soon after your accident. They may seem kind, concerned, and eager to offer a settlement. The settlement might even seem more than fair in the moment. Yet, your claim may be worth much more than you think, and the insurance claims adjuster may be hoping to get a statement from you that will help them to minimize your claim. It is always best to talk to an attorney before talking to an insurance company.
4) Follow Your Personal Injury Attorney’s Advice – Many people make the mistake of not listening to the advice of their own personal injury attorney. Keep in mind that your lawyer has the experience and expertise in Georgia personal injury laws that you probably lack. You chose your attorney for a reason, and the best way to win your case is to work together with that attorney, follow his or her advice, and avoid making the mistakes that might cost you your claim.
Contact a Georgia Personal Injury Lawyer Today
Follow our advice here, and you will greatly increase your odds of obtaining a fair settlement or favorable verdict in your Georgia personal injury case. Contact our dedicated personal injury lawyers today at the Law Office of John B. Jackson located in Carrollton, GA!