Personal injury claims arise when someone suffers an injury that was the direct result of someone else’s negligent actions or inactions. Car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, and slip and fall accidents, are some of the most frequently reported personal injury cases in Rome, Georgia.
If you or a loved one was injured in an accident caused by another party’s negligence, you could be entitled to compensation. At John B. Jackson, our Rome personal injury lawyers have the experience, knowledge, skills, and resources required to handle complex personal injury matters and will give your case the personalized attention it deserves.
Call us now at 770-834-0345 to schedule your free, initial, no-obligation consultation and case evaluation!
What Should I Do After an Injury?
You need to take action to safeguard your health and strengthen your case.
Get Medical Treatment
Your health should be the top priority after suffering a personal injury. You need to see a doctor so that your injuries are properly documented. Your medical records will be critical pieces of evidence when it comes to pursuing compensation.
Take Photos/Video If You Can
Take photos/video if you are able to since it can help corroborate your version of events and will be important evidence when it comes to recovering compensation. When you take photos/video, ensure that you get all angles of the accident scene.
Get Names and Numbers of Any Witnesses
Look around to see if anyone witnessed the accident or dangerous condition. If there are any witnesses, ensure that you get their names and contact information since they can help your personal injury case.
Report the Incident
Report the incident to an appropriate authority such as the police in case of an auto accident, or a manager if it is a slip and fall in a grocery store, etc., and ensure you get a copy of the incident report to help support your compensation claim.
Never Admit Fault
You might be tempted to apologize for the accident when you are at the scene, but this can seriously jeopardize your claim, which is why you shouldn’t do it. Never admit fault even if you believe you might have been partially or fully at fault for the incident/accident.
Call a Rome, GA Personal Injury Lawyer!
Call the experienced personal injury lawyers at John B. Jackson in Rome, Georgia at 770-834-0345 to discuss your legal options as soon as possible after the injury. We have experience dealing with personal injury claims and can recover the maximum compensation possible for your claim.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
You need to hire and retain our personal injury lawyers for the following reasons:
Case Preparation/Filing a Lawsuit
Our lawyer will first conduct a thorough investigation and prepare the required documents to begin the personal injury lawsuit. Our lawyers will always try settling claims without filing lawsuits whenever possible to save time and money. If the case cannot be settled upfront, we will work with you to file a lawsuit seeking compensation.
Our lawyers at John B. Jackson in Rome, GA are experienced in successfully negotiating with insurance companies. We will fight for you so that you may receive the maximum amount of compensation possible.
Trial Preparation and Representation
If settlement negotiations fail to yield positive results, we are ready and willing to take your personal injury case to court. At John B. Jackson, we have a team of highly skilled litigators who will fight for you in court to ensure that you get a favorable verdict.
What Type of Damages Can I Recover?
You can recover three categories of damages in a Georgia personal injury lawsuit.
Economic damages are the financial losses incurred by the personal injury victim. Examples include but are not limited to:
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Medical expenses
- Property damage
Non-economic damages are the non-monetary losses incurred by the personal injury victim. Examples include but aren’t limited to:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Stress and anxiety
Punitive damages are typically awarded only in very specific circumstances since they are intended to deter future conduct or punish a defendant. The defendant must have acted with malice, fraud, willful misconduct, oppression, wantonness, or conscious indifference to the consequences of their actions for punitive damages to be awarded in personal injury cases.
How Is Liability Determined in Georgia?
Personal injury cases typically involve a claim of negligence. Under Georgia law, there are certain elements that the injured party must prove to make a successful negligence claim:
- Duty of Care: You have to prove that the defendant had a duty of care to the plaintiff, which means that they had some obligation to act in a way that won’t harm others.
- Breach of Duty of Care: You must also prove that the defendant breached that duty of care established by Georgia common law or a Georgia statute.
- Causation: You must prove that the defendant’s breach of duty of care caused your injuries and provide medical records showing the nature and extent of your injuries.
- Damages: You also have to prove that the breach of duty of care caused you harm or damages, which are the losses experienced due to the injury.
Shared Fault in Georgia Personal Injury Cases
Georgia is a modified comparative negligence state, which means that if you are injured, you can recover damages in a lawsuit as long as you were less than 50 percent to blame for the incident that resulted in your injury. Fault is also a factor when it comes to determining how damages are calculated. Your total compensation will be reduced by your percentage of fault.
How Much Time Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Rome, GA?
In Georgia, the amount of time you have to file a personal injury claim, which is known as the statute of limitations is 2 years from the date of the accident. You must file by the deadline, or you will lose the right to file a lawsuit for the accident.
Personal Injury Claims Process
Our Rome personal injury lawyers will help you navigate the legal process and fight to win you the maximum compensation.
- Hire a Lawyer: You need to retain a qualified lawyer such as those at John B. Jackson in Rome, GA to provide guidance to help strengthen your claim.
- Case Investigation: Our lawyers will then conduct a detailed investigation of the accident to prove negligence occurred and determine whether you have a valid claim.
- Filing an Insurance Claim: Our lawyers will help you file an insurance claim for pursuing compensation. We can even prepare a demand letter demanding compensation for your damages.
- Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit: If your case didn’t settle after filing the insurance claim, the next step is filing a personal injury lawsuit. Our lawyers will prepare the lawsuit stating the facts for which you have the right to recover compensation.
- Fact Finding and Discovery: Our lawyers will then gather additional evidence in your case during this phase.
- Mediation and Negotiation: Mediation and negotiation is a process in which our lawyers and the at-fault party’s lawyers attempt to resolve the case without having to go to court.
- Trial: If the case hasn’t settled at this point and has not otherwise been resolved, it will proceed to trial. Our lawyers will present their case before the court and wait for the verdict.
How Much Will a Rome Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
Hiring a personal injury lawyer is the best thing you can do after an accident. However, you might be concerned about how much it actually costs to hire one. Fortunately, our Rome, GA personal injury lawyers represent clients on a contingency basis. This means that our fee is a percentage of either your settlement or jury award. If you don’t win your case, you don’t owe us any fees.
Types of Personal Injury Cases We Handle at John B. Jackson:
We handle many types of injury cases in Rome, Georgia.
Car accidents, truck accidents, and motorcycle accidents can leave victims with devastating injuries. Were you or a loved one injured due to a negligent driver in Rome, GA? Let John B. Jackson secure compensation for you.
If you or a loved one was recently bitten by a dog, our lawyers at John B. Jackson can help you recover compensation for your injuries and losses.
If you have been the victim of medical malpractice in Rome, GA, our experienced lawyers are ready to start working on your case.
Slip and Falls
If you were injured after using a faulty product, our lawyers can help you file a product liability claim against a negligent manufacturer to help you recover compensation for your injuries and losses.
Hurt in a Personal Injury in Rome, GA? Get the Compensation You Deserve!
If you have suffered a personal injury in Rome, GA, contact the experienced attorneys at John B. Jackson today. We believe that you deserve full and fair compensation for your losses. We are ready to help you pay your medical bills, regain your financial stability, and get your life back on track.
Call us now at 770-834-0345 to schedule your free, initial consultation and case evaluation with our experienced Rome personal injury lawyers.