Property owners in Georgia are required by law to make sure that their premises do not have any dangerous hazards that might lead to injuries. In case the property owner has violated this duty and you have suffered injuries due to unsafe conditions at their property, the specialized slip and fall lawyers at the Law Office of John B. Jackson might be able to help you get fair compensation for your injuries. Give us a call today at 770-988-6155 for a completely free case review. You can also get in touch with us through our chat service or our online contact form.
Table of Contents
What Are The Advantages of Working with a Lawrenceville Slip and Fall Lawyer?
When you get injured due to unsafe conditions at a property, you have the right to get fair monetary damages but you will find that retail institutions, as well as insurance companies, try every trick in the book to minimize their liability and settle quickly. These companies have a whole array of attorneys dealing with such things and they are always looking to minimize the payout for the insurance company.
They might sound nice on the phone but keep in mind that without an attorney, you are alone and vulnerable. You need an expert Lawrenceville personal injury attorney on your side such as the Law Office of John B. Jackson to protect your rights.
The insurance adjusters working for the insurance company often try to reach out to the victim as quickly as possible. They try to talk to them in order to sign a settlement or minimize the payout. You should never speak directly with the insurance adjusters. You might not be aware of all your rights. We deal with such cases regularly and it is our recommendation to not to talk to anyone without your attorney being present.
What Are The Most Common Slip And Fall Causes?
In the state of Georgia, a number of causes and conditions might lead to slip and fall accidents. Here is a list (not exhaustive) of some of the most common causes:
- Inadequately lit hallways or walkways
- Staircases that are broken or escalators that are not functioning properly
- Staircases with missing handrails
- Wet/slick floors, staircases or walkways
- Structural defects
- Improper upkeep/maintenance leading to uneven steps
- Torn carpeting, broken floor tiles, or cracked sidewalks
- Potholes in the parking lots or streets
- Spills in nursing homes, hospitals or stores
- Presence of hazardous debris including tree branches among others
- Presence of ice or snow that isn’t shoveled away or salted
- Missing storm drains or gutters or anti-slip devices causing hazardous conditions during snowfall or heavy rainfall
- Missing signs to restrict areas with hazardous conditions such as those listed above
You can file a slip and fall claim to get fair compensation in case you suffered a serious injury on a property that is not your own. It is the duty of each property owner whether they are a construction corporation, a homeowner, a city owning a government building or a grocery store owner to keep their visitors safe. If this expectation of the visitors is broken, the citizens of the United States are allowed to take legal action. Taking legal action ensures that others do not get injured needlessly.
What Compensation Can I Get for a Lawrenceville Slip and Fall Case?
When you file a personal injury claim, it usually has three components consisting of pain and suffering, lost income as well as medical expenses that are necessary and reasonable.
Our team of experienced lawyers will gather all your medical bills. We will also calculate the time you had to take off work due to no fault of your own. The calculation for pain and suffering is complicated and requires a variety of tangible as well as intangible evidence. We can come up with numbers only after you have completely recovered or as much as you can medically.
What Actions Are Required after a Slip and Fall Accident?
Here is what you should do in case you have suffered a slip and fall accident in a public place:
- Take as many photos as you can at that time
- Don’t fail to report the accident or incident to a manager
- Collect the contact information including the names and numbers of any witnesses
- Always get immediate medical attention, if needed
- If possible, try to make sure the cause of your accident is addressed right away
Our team of investigators will go with you in order to recreate the incident at the accident scene, if needed. We will also get in touch with witnesses. You should focus on your recovery. In case your doctor has asked you to follow a treatment plan, you should follow it meticulously till you have completely recovered.
Slip and Fall Case – Comparative Negligence Law in Georgia
You need to understand the concept of negligence as applicable in the slip and fall injury lawsuits. A property owner is deemed to act negligently in case they fail in their duty to maintain their property. If their negligence is the cause of an injury, victims can seek financial compensation for their injuries.
In case you are also found to be partially at fault which means you got injured due to your own carelessness or your own actions (if you ignored a warning sign or your cell phone distracted you leading to injury), the compensation for damages and your injuries might be a reduced in proportion to the percentage you are found to be at fault.
You might be asked several questions when you make a slip and fall accident injury claim, such as:
- Was there a good reason for you to be present on the premises of the property owner when the accident happened?
- Is it possible for a person of reasonable caution who is not distracted to avoid the dangerous condition if they were in the same situation?
- Was a warning given by the property owner about the dangerous condition leading to the slip and fall accident?
- Did you engage in any activities contributing to your injury due to slip and fall accident?
The insurance company of the property owner is likely to ask you such questions when you file a slip and fall accident claim in order to determine whether you are being negligent. The amount of settlement might be drastically reduced based on your answers to these questions. Keep in mind that you will find it extremely difficult to have a successful outcome for your accident injury claim without an experienced slip and fall injury lawyer by your side.
Proving a Slip and Fall Accident
The state of Georgia has premises liability laws. If you suffered a slip and fall accident and have filed a claim, you will need to prove these two things as per the liability laws in order to prove the negligence of the property owner being the sole cause of your injuries:
- The property owner knew about the hazardous condition or it is reasonable to assume that they should have known about the existence of hazardous conditions.
- The victim did not know of the dangerous condition as there were no warning signs and they could not notice the hazardous conditions.
As per these rules, a reasonable amount of time is given to the property owner to fix any hazardous conditions present on their property. The property owner is required to post some warning signs and/or make sure that there are no visitors in the dangerous area. As far as the definition of reasonable is concerned in slip and fall cases, it depends on the judges and/or jury during negotiations or litigation.
Lawrenceville Slip and Fall Lawyer – Let us Fight While You Recover
If you or someone you know has been the victim of a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you should get in touch with the Law Office of John B. Jackson. One of our experienced slip and fall injury attorneys in Lawrenceville will help you. Our law firm specializes in helping victims of negligence get fair compensation for their injuries. Our law firm has the necessary resources to uphold your legal rights.
Call us today at 770-988-6155 to keep Georgia safe.