If you get into a truck accident in Lawrenceville, there are certain things you need to do. As soon as you’re able to, you need to contact 911. The cops will come to the accident scene and do a thorough investigation. They’ll also prepare a police report that your truck accident lawyer can use to prove your case.
The next thing you need to do is go to the hospital. The cops will arrange for an ambulance to transport you to the hospital. This way, they can do the tests to make sure you’re okay. They can also create a medical record of your injuries.
Finally, you need to call an experienced truck accident lawyer in Lawrenceville. The attorney will negotiate with the insurance adjusters on your behalf. They’ll also fight to make sure your claim is handled properly from the start.
Why Would the Trucker’s Employer Deny Your Claim?
For the most part, if you get into a truck accident, you’ll have to sue the driver and the company they work for. Your Lawrenceville accident attorney will make sure you name both defendants in your lawsuit.
Generally speaking, companies are vicariously liable for things their employees do. However, that’s not always the case. The company has a right to prove why they shouldn’t be responsible for your injuries.
There are times when the truck driver’s employer will deny liability. They could do this for a variety of reasons, including:
- The driver was not on the clock at the time of the accident.
- The driver was violating company policy when they were involved in the crash.
- The driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- They don’t believe their driver caused the crash.
- Your injuries are serious and the claim is very large. They would rather take their chances in court or try to negotiate a settlement for a lesser amount.
- The driver did not have permission to use the truck at the time of your accident
If the employer does refuse to pay your claim, that doesn’t mean all hope is lost. Your Lawrenceville accident lawyer is going to work hard to get you’re the compensation you deserve.
Your Lawrenceville Accident Lawyer Will Demand Damages
If you get into a tractor trailer accident, you’ll surely suffer pretty serious injuries. The trucker and his employer should be responsible for your injuries. This is why you hire a truck accident lawyer in Georgia – to get you the compensation you deserve.
Some of the damages that you your Lawrenceville truck accident will demand includes:
- Medical Bills – Truck crashes cause very serious injuries. Usually, it’s not the truck driver who gets hurt. It’s the person in the car or SUV. It’s just hard to withstand the impact of a giant machine. This means you could have very high medical bills. The trucking company should be liable for these.
- Lost Wages –As long as you missed a couple of weeks from work, your attorney can demand damages. It depends on how long you were laid up. It also depends on whether your missed time was covered by vacation time or sick time.
- Pain and Suffering – There’s a good chance you experienced a ton of pain. This is something the defendant should have to pay for. It’s their fault you were in pain after all.
- Property Damage – You’ll be lucky if your car isn’t destroyed in the crash. The defendant can be held liable for the replacement value of your vehicle.
Whether or not you qualify for these damages will depend on your injuries. If you’re seriously hurt, you’ll be entitled to more significant damages. Your lawyer will have to submit proof for each type of damages you demand. If the jury believes the truck driver caused the crash, you will recover the money you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney in Lawrenceville Today
If you get hit by a tractor trailer, the trucking company needs to be held accountable. It’s not always the truck driver who caused the crash. However, it’s usually the person in the passenger vehicle that suffers the injuries. This is why it’s important that you hire a truck accident lawyer to handle your claim.
The company that owns the truck probably has a team of lawyers on standby. They are willing and able to defend any personal injury lawsuits. You don’t want to take this kind of team on all by yourself. Call our office so you can retain a skilled truck accident lawyer in Georgia.