Getting in a car accident is frustrating enough. The last thing you need is the other driver refusing to cooperate. What most people do after a car accident is exchange insurance information. This is so they can file a claim for damages after the fact.
There’s always the chance that you’ll run into someone who doesn’t play by the rules. One of the first things you should do after an accident is call the police. Even if the other driver begs you not to, do it. You can’t take the risk of not calling the police.
The second thing you should do is take a picture of the other driver’s car and license plates. This way, if he refuses to give you his insurance information, you can try to get it later on.
Once the police come, they’ll demand that both drivers provide license, registration and insurance information. The problem is, the other driver may not wait around for the cops. If he’s worried about giving you insurance information, he’s probably not too keen on dealing with the police either.
What Can An Atlanta Auto Accident Lawyer Do to Help?
If the other driver takes off and you don’t get their insurance information, your Atlanta auto accident lawyer can help. If you did get a picture of their tag, he can subpoena records from the DMV. This will tell him who was driving the car. He can use this information in a few ways:
- Report the accident to the police – They can go to the person’s last known address and investigate the matter. The officer will also issue citations for leaving the scene of an accident. A court date will be set. Your lawyer can attend this court date and demand that the defendant provide insurance information.
- If your lawyer gets contact information for the other driver, he can serve him with a request to product documents. Or, he can issue a subpoena for information.
- If all else fails, your lawyer can reach out to the popular insurance companies. Your lawyer can issue a subpoena to all the major car insurance companies to find out if the defendant has a policy with them. It will take some time, but he can ultimately find this information.
All of these things can be done by an auto accident attorney. You wouldn’t even know where to start. This is why it’s beneficial to have an experienced Atlanta car wreck attorney by your side.
What Will Your Atlanta Car Wreck Attorney Do Once He Has the Insurance Information?
Once your lawyer has the other driver’s insurance information, he can file a claim. The claim will be for whatever damages you’ve suffered in the accident. Some of these damages include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Property damage
- Out of pocket expenses (car rentals, tow trucks, etc.)
- Pain and suffering
Once he files the claim, you’ll have to wait and see if it’s approved. If it’s denied, your attorney will do two things. He’ll file an appeal first. He’ll also reach out to the insurance adjuster and see if he’s willing to settle the claim.
Something else your Atlanta car wreck attorney can do is ask that charges be filed against the defendant. If the other driver leaves the sceneof the accident, it’s a crime. He may have fled for any number of reasons, including:
- His driver’s license is revoked or suspended
- They have no car insurance
- He has warrants out
- He is drunk or under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident
Sadly, things like this happen all the time. If the other driver is afraid to encounter the police, he may just take off. Once he sobers up, he may report the accident to his insurance company. If this is the case, they may reach out to you directly.
If he flees because he isn’t insured, you’ll have a bigger problem.
Your Atlanta Car Accident Attorney Can Help if the Other Driver is Uninsured
If the other driver has no insurance, you’ll have to rely on your uninsured motorist funds. The problem is, this requires that you file a claim with your own insurance company. Your rates may go up as a result. Also, claims paid under uninsured motorist’s fund are typically limited to around $50,000. If your damages exceed this amount, you’ll have a problem.
Whatever amount isn’t covered by insurance will have to be paid by the driver directly. Your lawyer can file a personal lawsuit against the defendant. Even if he does this, however, you’ll probably have a hard time collecting on the judgement. Unless the defendant has assets like a house, boat or large checking account, you may never see a dime.
Contact an Atlanta Car Wreck Attorneytoday to discuss your case. The initial consultation is free and you pay nothing until you win your case.