Distracted driving is one of the biggest causes of car accidents. Whether you’re texting or putting on makeup, chances are, you may get into an accident. Hopefully, your accident will be minor and nobody will get seriously hurt. But many distracted driving accidents cause some pretty serious injuries.
No matter how many public service announcements there are, people still text and drive. They do other things that distract them from the road as well. Even though they know it increases the chances of them getting into an accident, they do it.
Believe it or not, over 80% of people admit to driving distracted at least once a day. People just can’t wait a few minutes till they get where they’re going. They disregard all the warnings and do whatever they want on the road.
If you are hurt by a distracted driver, you should really contact a car accident lawyer in Atlanta.
Atlanta Car Accident Lawyers Are Familiar with Distracted Driving
Both personal injury lawyers and defense lawyers are very familiar with distracted driving cases. Despite the dangers of distracted driving, people do it more and more every year. This leads to more car accident cases than ever before. In fact, more than 25% of all car accident fatalities are caused by distracted driving.
The three biggest causes of distracted driving in Atlanta are:
- Lost in thought – Believe it or not, one of the biggest causes of distracted driving is just being lost in thought. Over 62% of all distracted driving cases involved this type of distraction. People start worrying about their day and lose track of what they’re doing. They can be thinking of anything – if it takes your mind off the road, it’s dangerous. Now, nobody expects people to not “think” while they’re driving. You just have to be conscious of whether or not you’re paying attention to the road.
- Cell phones – Texting or talking on a cell phone only make up 12% of all distracted driving accidents. You would think it was higher. But, keep in mind that this only includes cases where it was proven that a cell phone was used. Proving texting and driving is not easy. Even with cell phone records, it’s not a guarantee.
- Third parties – The third biggest distraction is other people. When you take time to gawk at other drivers or people walking, it causes a major distraction. This is a bigger problem on roads and streets than it is on highways. This is because there are so many more distractions on city streets than on a major highway.
If you’re guilty of any of these, then you are a distracted driver. If a distracted driver hits you and you get hurt, you need an experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer.
Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Atlanta Help You Prove Distracted Driving?
It’s not easy to prove distracted driving. Nobody is going to just admit that they were distracted when they got into the accident. They don’t want to be held responsible. Why would they? If the case ends up in court, they don’t want you to have proof that they’re liable.
Your car accident lawyer in Atlanta is going to have to rely on outside proof. He’ll use whatever is at his disposal, including:
- Eye witness testimony
- Cell phone records
- The police report
- Statements made by the drivers
- Dashcam and other videos
Your lawyer will have to convince a jury that the other driver was distracted. While he does this, the other lawyer is going to insist that the accident was your fault. So, it will come down to who has better proof.
Contact a Georgia Car Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been hit by a distracted driver, you need to contact a Georgia car accident lawyer. You are going to have an uphill battle proving the other driver was at fault. You need to rely on an experienced car accident lawyer to help you do this.
Call and schedule your initial consultation today. It is free and gives you a chance to meet with a skilled lawyer to discuss your case.
When you meet with your lawyer for the first time, remember to bring the following:
- Police report
- Medical records
- Pictures of the accident
- Pictures of your injuries
- Any videos of the accident
- Correspondence from the other driver’s lawyer
- Contact information for any eyewitnesses
Your lawyer will rely on this information to help prove your case. He will work hard to get you the compensation you deserve.